Monday, April 28, 2008

More Yarn? are you kidding?!

Before I get into the yarn that I got this weekend, here's another finished object:
I made another yarmulke using Jenny White's pattern from Greetings from Knit Cafe - I used KPM and this one turned out a bit too small - it's more "boy" sized - but fits pretty well as a skull cap on my day of the dead skull I got during our trip to Mexico this past February! - It'll eventually end up as a gift I'm sure; it is just a touch too small for me or Gregg...

OK - Simply Knitting was having a 50% off everything (but Noro) sale this past week - if you got to go, it's a great time to stock up - she does this a time or two each year to clear out inventory and to prepare for the next season - I got some goodies but forced myself not to go too overboard...


First, I got yarn to make something for my Pay It Forward pal, Jadielady from Ravelry - I am not posting much about the yarn (it is a potential secret to her) - but it'll be beautiful... it's in my list of projects on Ravelry, but I haven't started it... at least the yarn is acquired...


I scooped up 2 hanks of Marisol Sulka in a light grey - yummy and soft and beautiful - to make a hat... no pattern yet... but having supplies is half the battle...

I also bought up 5 hanks of each of these 4 colors - to make a sweater or vest of some kind - I was originally thinking of a striped sweater, but as the day progressed, I think my idea has morphed into some sort of vest - I have no pattern for a vest yet... if anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it! - I'm not opposed to some sort of intarsia or fair isle, but the yarn is kind of thick so fair isle might not be a good idea... but intarsia (or blocks of some kind) or maybe just good old stripes will be good - I think that cables are out of the question just because I'm not fond of horizontal stripes mixed with vertical cables... ideas? :) (also, do you like the stripes in this color order or would you change it?


I picked up this slow color changing yarn because of its yardage and because I thought I might be able to practice some of the fair isle pattern stuff that I want to do with other yarn in my stash - worst case, it'll end up as *another* scarf - but hopefully I'll find a nice chart to make some sort of pillow front or something...again, ideas?


I started a one row scarf (from the Yarn Harlot) using some Noro in my stash - it's my "carpool" project - I did get my car back from the repair shop - it's all better save a few touch ups - and the stereo is re-installed - but I still love my knitting time while carpooling with a coworker - I need something easy to work on that I can do mindlessly - without much thought - and this pattern is definitely easy - and pretty - and I love this yarn... I'm hoping I'll be able to get a scarf out of one hank of yarn - I have 2 hanks just in case... if I have to break into #2 I can always make a matching hat..

Hope you had a great weekend! :)

2 comments:

Jadielady said...

*happy dance* I love that hat, and the skull modeling it!

Anonymous said...

That Cyprus mohair is great, but it fuzzes something fierce. It is a little fragile, so I couldn't do anything that required a lot of manipulation. It has beautiful depth of colour and whatever you do with it will be lovely.

Glad the car's okay. You too.